Facility Evacuated, Workers Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Leak at Processing Plant

Seventeen workers at the Oregon pork and beef facility were treated for exposure.

Multiple workers have been sent to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at the Carlton Farms pork and beef facility in Carlton, Oregon.

Workers were evacuated after a boiler malfunction reportedly caused the problem. 

Carbon monoxide was detected in the HVAC system and 17 workers received treatment for exposure. 

The plant was shut down and all non-exposed workers were sent home. 

Eleven people were sent to the hospital to treat headaches, nausea and vomiting, but none were in serious condition. 

In a statement, Carlton Farms said "our thought(s) and prayers are with our teammates who were injured/became sickened due to a carbon monoxide leak."

The company is working with emergency personnel to make sure the area is safe to reenter to investigate the leak. 

Founded in 1956, Carlton Farms is a family-owned company that makes all-natural, artisan fresh pork, smoked pork, and beef products.


More