Walter (Greer, SC) announced new indexable inserts made of the WIS30 ceramic grade, which are versatile in both milling and turning operations.
Based on the elements silicon, aluminum, oxygen and nitrogen, the SiAlON ceramic inserts with high aluminum content are effective when machining super alloy materials (ISO S workpiece group), such as Inconel 718, Rene, Hastelloy and Waspaloy.
- Suitable for turning and milling applications that include roughing, semi-finishing and finishing, as well as interrupted cuts
- Axial depth of cut (ap) up to 0.197 in. (5 mm)
- Ceramic indexable inserts with chamfer with rounded cutting edge or tough cutting edge
- Insert styles include C-style inserts and round inserts (CNGN, RCGX, RPGN and RNGN)
- High aluminum content that enables high level of heat resistance
- Long needle shaped grains and fine grain size
- Reduced cost per cutting edge because of long tool life
For milling applications, two new ceramic insert mills have also been released. The M2472 holds positive inserts (RPGN) and M2473 is designed for negative inserts (RNGN). Both the milling holder families have coolant vents for carrying compressed air to extend the tool life of the inserts.