McLean, Va. … Plans are well underway to make 2014’s premier manufacturing event, the 30th edition of IMTS – The International Manufacturing Technology Show , a must-attend event for manufacturing professionals from around the world. IMTS will be held at Chicago’s McCormick Place Sept. 8-13, 2014.
The show theme for 2014 is “Come Together ” and is a call to action for the entire IMTS community comprised of more than 100,000 industrial decision makers from more than 119 countries to interact at IMTS and see the latest technology to get ideas and find answers to their manufacturing problems and challenges.
Reflecting the strength of manufacturing in the world economy, early results on participating exhibitors and exhibitor floor square footage contracted are both ahead of the IMTS 2012 pace at 1,117 (a 23 percent increase) and 1.151 million net square feet (an 8 percent increase) respectively.
“There is nothing like IMTS. It’s an entire industry of more than 100,000 manufacturing professionals in one place, at the same time, with one focus – advanced manufacturing,” said Peter Eelman, Vice President - Exhibitions and Communications at AMT – The Association For Manufacturing Technology, which produces and owns IMTS. “They come together and leave inspired. From never-before-seen technology to educational opportunities and the pure fun of seeing technology in action, IMTS is the place to be next September. IMTS 2012 ranked highly on Trade Show Executive’s Fastest 50 Class of 2012 which recognizes top performing shows in each of three metrics — net square feet, number of exhibiting companies and attendance. We intend to repeat this success in 2014 by bringing the most inspiring industry event to our community.”
To help guide visitors around the vast exhibits and find their areas of interest quickly and easily, IMTS is organized into nine pavilions:
- The Abrasive Machining/Sawing/Finishing Pavilion features technology for applications that require high tolerance and precision surface finish including grinding technology, as well as sawing and cutoff machines and a variety of finishing technologies, such as lapping, balancing, honing and polishing machines.
- The Controls & CAD-CAM Pavilion offers the world of custom automation and the latest software needed to extract the maximum efficiency from machine tools to optimize plant operations and cost efficiency.
- In the EDM Pavilion, everything from CNC wire EDM equipment to die sinking machines can be found by manufacturing professionals in the tool & die industry and especially those who specialize in one-off or specialty components.
- The Fabricating/Laser/Additive Pavilion is devoted to showcasing the latest technology in fabricating, metal forming, laser and waterjet-based machining and additive manufacturing, along with displays of welding, metal treating and marking equipment.
- The Gear Generation Pavilion is devoted to gear cutting, forming and finishing, as well as broaching, shaping and slotting machines and will spotlight traditional applications such as auto, construction, mining and ship-building, plus the emerging alternative energy and wind power sectors.
- Focusing on the myriad of goods needed to run a plant, the Machine Components/Cleaning/Environmental Pavilion will offer everything from the parts to service and monitor machines to the components necessary for safe and environmentally responsible operations.
- The Metal Cutting Pavilion is the center of the very foundation of the machine tool industry. Here, visitors will find the latest innovations in metal cutting equipment including machining centers, turning centers and the entire range of metal cutting technology.
- The Quality Assurance Pavilion features metrology equipment and systems that keep processes on track, as well as the equipment that will check the accuracy of machines.
- The Tooling & Workholding Systems Pavilion offers all the necessities and innovative solutions to tooling challenges. Here, visitors can maximize the investment in their machinery and equipment by finding the latest technology that will allow for minimum setup and machining time, give new capabilities to older equipment and explore the latest in state-of-the-art workholding systems.
IMTS 2014 will also feature two co-located shows, Industrial Automation North America at IMTS and Motion, Drive & Automation North America at IMTS. Industrial Automation North America made its debut as a co-located show with IMTS in 2012. Returning in 2014, it is sure to showcase the best in process, factory, and building automation. The 2014 introduction of Motion, Drives & Automation North America (MDA NA) further expands the range of technologies and solutions presented at IMTS by bringing together the power transmission, motion control and fluid technology sectors. Both of these events are being developed by IMTS partner, Hannover Fairs, USA.
The Emerging Technology Center (ETC) returns to IMTS featuring an amazing step forward in the production of energy-efficient vehicles. IMTS partner, Local Motors, has agreed to actually manufacture, not just assemble, its new city vehicle – the Boston Bullet – at IMTS.
A new manufacturing process - “Additive-Subtractive” - will utilize the new 3D printing/additive technology to produce major components that can then be machined to exacting standards. Several IMTS exhibitors are poised to contribute machinery and technology for the production of parts for the car which will be completed and ready to drive out of McCormick Place by the close of the show.
The ETC will also present interactive kiosks to highlight the new National Network for Manufacturing Innovation (NNMI). These regional hubs are being funded by the government to accelerate development and adoption of cutting-edge manufacturing technologies for making new, globally competitive products.
In addition to the incredible lineup in the ETC, Gardner Business Media’s Advanced Manufacturing Center and GIE Media’s Today’s Technology Center are both set to return to IMTS. The Advanced Manufacturing Center display, sponsored by Modern Machine Shop magazine, Gardner Business Media, Inc. and IMTS, will explore the newest trends and technologies being adopted by leading manufacturers, interactive presentations, exciting giveaways and much more. Also featured in the booth will be highlights from TRAM – Trends in Advanced Manufacturing Conference, which is additionally sponsored by Boeing and the Advanced Manufacturing Research Center out of the University of Sheffield. GIE Media’s Today’s Technology Center will spotlight end user products that result from the application of manufacturing technology.
Educational opportunities will abound. The four day IMTS 2014 Conference runs Sept. 8-11 and is slated to include 69 sessions that explore topics including materials engineering, manufacturing technology and trends, alternative manufacturing processes, metrology/quality and plant operations. Conferences sponsored by Hannover Fairs USA during the week are the Motion, Drives & Automation Conference, ISA Inside: Training Sessions at Industrial Automation North America and the Global Automation and Manufacturing Summit. The CleanTech Conference will be offered by the Midwest Global Alliance. EOS North America is offering its North American Users Conference. Gardner Business Media will once again sponsor the popular TRAM – Trends in Advanced Manufacturing Conference. Registration to any of the conferences affords participants access to the show floor.
IMTS will once again welcome 9,000-plus students and educators to expose them to the career opportunities in manufacturing through hands-on learning and networking with industry professionals.
“At one year out we can say with confidence that IMTS 2014 will provide the environment for the IMTS community to come together for the innovative and creative manufacturing experience and the pure fun of seeing technology in action,” Eelman said. “Be sure to put IMTS on your calendar Sept. 8-13, and join us in Chicago where you will meet the minds that are moving manufacturing forward.”
Conversations within the IMTS community are going on @
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/IMTS_2014  or @IMTS_2014
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/IMTS-2014-2987568?mostPopular=&gid=2987568 
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IMTS.show 
IMTS - International Manufacturing Technology Show
The largest and longest running manufacturing technology trade show in the United States is held every other year at McCormick Place in Chicago, Ill. IMTS 2014 will run September 8-13. IMTS is ranked among the largest trade shows in the world. Recognized as one of the world’s preeminent stages for introducing and selling manufacturing equipment and technology, IMTS attracts more than 100,000 visitors from every level of industry and more than 119 countries. IMTS is owned and managed by AMT – The Association For Manufacturing Technology. www.IMTS.com 
Plans are well underway to make 2014’s premier manufacturing event, the 30th edition of IMTS – The International Manufacturing Technology Show, a must-attend event for manufacturing professionals from around the world. IMTS will be held at Chicago’s McCormick Place Sept. 8-13, 2014.