FARGO, N.D. (AP) — A spokesman for American Crystal Sugar Co. says there have been no issues with inexperienced replacement workers hired to take over harvesting duties this week.
About 1,300 regular workers have been locked out since Aug. 1 after the union and management could not agree on a contract. The company began cutting beets this week at plants in Minnesota, North Dakota and Iowa with replacement workers.
Brian Ingulsrud tells KFGO (http://bit.ly/nj4Tjh ) that everything has been running well so far.
Union spokesman Mark Froemke earlier said the company is playing "high-stakes poker" with the replacement workers. He says they could damage equipment or get hurt.
The main harvest is scheduled to get underway around October 1.