Company Sued In Bridge Collapse Responds
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — An engineering firm being sued by the state of Minnesota says it's not responsible for the fatal collapse of the Interstate 35W bridge two years ago.
The Star Tribune reports that URS Corp. filed its response Thursday to the lawsuit. The San Francisco-based firm notes that as recently as last year, state officials were praising the firm's work on the old bridge and that the state has hired URS for subsequent projects.
The state contends that URS should have found the crucial flaw that led to the collapse of the Minneapolis bridge that killed 13 people on Aug. 1, 2007.
In its response, URS says the Minnesota Department of Transportation ignored some of its repair recommendations.
A MnDOT spokesman says the agency does not comment on litigation.